Looking towards The Current Bollywood Movies, actually it seems like something’s missing. Actually, We are moving towards Tollywood and Hollywood. I’m not saying it sucks everytime. Bu yeah !! Most of the times, It does. Sometimes, we’ve over-rated hyped actors (though most of them are untalented :P) featuring in a movie, sometimes there’s even mindless and useless srcipt and dialogues, and even Sometimes there’s also Poor Level of Direction and Cinematography. Though most of the Bollywood Movies these days have certain setbacks, but still they manage to lure the audiences somehow and therefore making it BIG HIT. After getting certain responses from the crowd these days, the film-makers are now intentionally making such bull-craps without any passion and profession many times, fetching a lots of money from the audience. 😛
It only runs by certain formalae, which I’m going to discuss further.
Well, Dabangg is the best example of a formula Bollywood film that can never go wrong. The Salman starrer had just about everything that comprised the ingredients of a box office superhit. So let us decode Bollywood’s second biggest blockbuster Dabangg(find out which is the biggest Bollywood blockbuster )and analyze how to make a successful Bollywood film taking into account the following factors:
1. The quintessential hero: Salman Khan was no short of Rajnikanth in Dabangg. His entry was jaw-dropping, whatever he does; he does with the demeanor of a hero. He has that swagger in his walk, is every bit as human in loving his brethren as he is superhuman in fending off the negative elements. He has his own baggage of problems but that does not stop him from being ‘cool’ in his own inimitable, earthy way. And yes, he romances his lady love with an easy-going charm too.
2. The action: Salman in Dabangg sends 13 people flying in different directions by hitting them where it hurts. Not possible in real life, but what the heck, the visual impact was worth it and who does not like to see objects flying when you kick them and if they suspend in the air, before crashing..even better!
3. The family man: All though seen in 45 movies before Dabangg, it still delved into the story of a son not getting along with his step-father; having issues with his brother, being close to his mother whom he loses eventually. So our guy is still very much, the family person first and has a heart in the right place.
4. The dialogues and locker-room lines: Check out these lines ‘Kamal Kartey ho Pandeyji” “Police Waleko Tokne Ka Anjaam Pata Hai Kya? 21 years jail aur thukai alag se. Aur Isi Police Walene Agar Tumhe Toka Toh Promotion Alagse Aur Bahduri Ka Medal Bhi! “Hum Tumme Itne Chedh Karenge ki confuse ho jaogey ki saans kaise le aur paadhey kahan se?’ ‘Tapad se darr nahin lagtha hain sahib, pyaar se lagtha hain’ All of theses lines and many more were aimed at the masses, but even the classes lapped it up. Why? Because the lines played to the gallery and come on even these high classes people secretly enjoy outrageous lines.
5. Catchy Item Number: A kick-ass item number that becomes the anthem of the nation, without really promoting it . Sheela Ki Jawaani was thrust on our throats, while people demanded Munni Badhnaam Hui; that is the big difference. Also Munni Badhnaam Hui was as much funny as much as it was sexy.
6. Amazing comedy: Comedy and action together can be a brilliant combination. One of the single-most factors for Dabangg to be a racy hit is action laced with comedy. Remember Salman bashing up villains and then breaking into a dance. Okay, it was a bit like Mask but we can forgive that
7. The Momentum: Dabangg had its momentum right from the beginning. From the very first scene, the movie was on the driver’s seat, going full throttle.
8. Good scenes: Okay Guzaarish also had good scenes but people will always remember Dabangg’s scenes; be it the Sonakshi-Salman scene, Salman Khan’s challenge to Sonu Sood, the entry scene or the final scene; because boss, they brought in the whistles. People often go to a movie theater with their friends or date; they don’t want to cry at the hero’s hopeless condition; they would rather be motivated while having fun.
9. Attitude and channelized star power: In today’s times, the movie has to get cracking immediately or it may be too late. Salman Khan’s massive star power got the audiences in but that alone was not enough. Sallu had been getting people into theaters many times, but they have shown him the middle finger and gone their way(not kidding, actually have seen people doing this for some of his crappy films). But this time, they didn’t; they clapped with glee. This was because Salman Khan’s starpower was projected in the best manner possible. This was the most RELATABLE Salman Khan movie for him as well as the audiences.
Speaking of attitude, there are some movies that have attitude while others do not. Rangeela had an attitude, 3 Idiots too; Rang De Basanti had it in loads, Swades had it and so did Tere Naam. It is not just about being stylish; in all these movies, you have characters with clear mindset; they are sure about what they want and have their own style and charisma. In Dabangg too, Salman Khan is comfortable in his own skin and takes pride in what he does. People love that. This is also ONE BIG REASON WHY RAJNIKANTH’s MOVIES rock.
10. Sequels: Dabangg’s Huge Success made its producer – Arbaaz Khan, to declare of making its sequel : Dabangg 2 . This formula is most used to create a hype among the viewers for any Movie, such that theywould even get fascinated with it as well. Other Examples like – Rohit Shetty‘s Superhit sequels : Golmaal Returns (in 2008) & Golmaal 3 (last Diwali 2010) and Mahesh Bhatt‘s upcoming and expected hit Murder 2, releasing this year.
Dabangg is not a brilliant movie, heck, it is not even a good movie which would be remembered for many decades. But yes, it is a smartly made, ENTERTAINING movie, with all elements balanced in such a way that you end up enjoying akin to the way you’d relish a seven course meal that may not be nutritious but definitely tasty. Plus, Even I’ve seen it 6 times :P, but just to entertain myself for a while. Want another helping?
Referenced from Drew Magary’s Blog Post
Apropos of nothing, can I unsubscribe to Taylor Swift? Is that possible? I’d really like it to be possible.
I don’t quite know how I ended up with all this Taylor Swift in my life. FACT: Eighty-five percent of all advertisements and magazine covers are now mandated by law to feature Taylor Swift, or at least some portion of her hair crimping. Anytime there’s an award show or special live presentation or a Kia dealership grand opening, you can pretty much count on Swift showing up with her guitar and undermining the days and days of effort that Autotune put into creating one of her albums. Fuck, even Collinsworth spent last week’s Sunday Night game gushing about her. I can’t get away from this bitch. I even know she dates Jake Gyllenhaal. AND OMG BEEFY NECK GUY FROM TWILIGHT TOTALLY BROKE HER HEART!
I don’t understand all the fuss. Taylor Swift makes training bra music. Her shit is one step removed from a Fisher Price Little People CD. Every record she sells should come with a complimentary pack of Spree. If you’re over fourteen, you shouldn’t want anything to do with it. But no, every fucking adult music critic on Earth fawns over this girl and protects her like she’s some kind of goddamn forest pixie. SHE’S SO MATURE FOR AGE! SHE HANDLED THAT KANYE SITUATION SO WELL! SHE’S SO ARTICULATE! No, seriously. Someone wrote that.
Swift’s thoughtful honesty and surprisingly articulate take on life should be commended.
What is this, a fucking report card? HOORAY! SHE’S ALMOST 21 AND HAS THE ABILITY TO SPEAK! And since when is this chick honest? Have you heard some of these lyrics?
But she wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts
She’s cheer captain and I’m on the bleachers
Dreaming bout the day when you wake up and find
That what you’re lookin for has been here the whole time
First of all, is there anything honest about that? This woman is a fucking ROCK STAR and a millionaire. She’s, like, ninety stages above the cheer captain. Cheer captains are fucking special ed students compared to her. And she never wears fucking t-shirts. She wears $10,000 Halston gowns and all kinds of other sparkly shit. Some producer in Nashville probably made her write this so that fat Jenny in the seventh grade out there would have music that “speaks to her”. And there’s nothing mature about this shit. It’s the soundtrack to a trip to Spencer Gifts. Anyone could write that. I could write that.
It’s late at night and he’s sendin’ you a text
But you just bought your first box of Kotex
He doesn’t know you’re a bloody mess
But if he saw your crotch, he could probably guess…
It’s not that hard, okay? This fucking Kanye thing has made everyone treat Swift like she’s some precious doll they bought at the Franklin Mint. Meanwhile, Justin Bieber and his fans get made fun of (rightfully so) by fucking EVERYONE. And Bieber actually IS a kid! He’s not even voting age, the way this woman is. But somehow you’re an asshole if you hate Taylor Swift? That’s bullshit. BULLSHIT. Just because she’s the official spank bank material for every white asshole on the Texas Rangers roster doesn’t mean I have to give a crap.
People, I am here to grant you permission to hate Taylor Swift at will. You can go right ahead and laugh at her horrible singing and hope she ends up blowing local Tennessee DJs in lieu of record company payola handouts. Go ahead. Don’t feel bad. She’s a big girl. She can handle it. She’ll probably even be able to make a really shitty album out of it.
Referenced from Drew Magary’s Blog Post